Thursday, February 11, 2016

The President of Mount Saint Mary's University is doubly wrong


I rarely sign protest petitions or call for someone's immediate resignation, but this case warrants it.

First, President Simon Newman wrote to faculty to get them to push out weak students before a federal deadline each year, in order to improve the university's retention statistics.  He put his order delicately:
"This is hard for you because you think of the students as cuddly bunnies, but you can’t. You just have to drown the bunnies … put a Glock to their heads."

This is a reprehensible position for any college administrator to take, especially at a Catholic institution.

Then he made it worse, by summarily firing his critics, though they have tenure.

I have signed the petition.  

1 comment:

Mac said...

I would sign it if I was eligible. "Reprehensible" is too mild, but I cannot think of anything better.