Friday, October 30, 2015

The "Baby Penalty" is Shrinking for Educated White Women


This is a good tool to figure out the baby penalty in long-term wages for women with various characteristics.

The big news of this research is that the gap between mothers and childless women has been shrinking, especially for educated white women.

The reasons are mysterious.  I think, as educated women's marriage rates go up, younger married couples are investing more in her career than was true in previous generations.

2 comments:

Mac said...

I wish they could have come up with something other than "baby penalty." Having a baby should not be considered a dishonorable offense like unsportsmanlike conduct or roughing the passer. It strikes me that it could be a subtle indicator of the researchers' bias. How about "baby differential"?

Gruntled said...

Agreed. I will try to use that phrase in my own work.