Thursday, May 24, 2007

Gilmore Girls Finale: Luke In, Logan Out

So, I got it half right at the end of "Gilmore Girls." I predicted in February that the Gilmore Girls, mother and daughter, would choose poor Luke and rich Logan, respectively. The series ended with Luke going all out to take care of Lorelei. Though no future plan was settled, marriage is likely. Logan did in fact propose to Rory, but she turned him down in order to find herself. At the end she got a job writing about Barak Obama, rathering than marrying her college love and moving across the continent.

This is a sensible ending. Rory is young, and doesn't have to marry now. I thought it was a mistake to tie her so specifically to an event of this moment (the Obama campaign), which will probably not age very well. Still, I wish they had written her a better speech than simply "I'm too young to decide this now, can't we wait?" Logan sensibly replied, "What's the point?"

I will miss the "Gilmore Girls," both in itself and as a bonding activity with the women of my household. They like "Grey's Anatomy," as most young women do, but I can't get into it (or even stand it, actually). The writers have stuck all the characters except one (Dr. Bailey) in perpetual adolescence.

Perhaps Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator of "Gilmore Girls," and Aaron Sorkin, the creator of "The West Wing," could write a show together about fast-talking, witty people with real work and strong marriages.

3 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

Many of my female high school students were heartbroken that Rory turned down Logan. Ladies, I told them, you don't want a man who chooses your city, job, cute little house, and avocado tree, no matter how handsome and rich he is. Nope, you make sure that at 22 you are choosing your own avocado tree.

Gruntled said...

That last line sounds like a metaphor.

Anonymous said...

I've been patient long enough,Lorelai declares to Luke in the “Gilmore” season finale.very nice show.this show is my fav and never missed any episode.if you are exploring to watch gilmore girls online then click here.. your search for this show has been completed.