Saturday, September 23, 2006

Fighting Monsters in the Night

Last night my wife says I earned my keep as a husband … by removing a Big Scary Bug. She was awake at 4, facing some insomnia by reading a murder mystery, when she realized that a praying mantis was sitting on top of her reading light, about 18 inches from her face. It was staring at her. I was soon, um, encouraged to become awake and Do Something. Since we are a pro-mantis household, I eventually succeeded in scooping the bug into a cup unharmed, and then tossing it out the window.

I suggested that if we just waited for it to walk on her face in the night she would make a noise sufficient to let the whole house know just where the bug was, but she didn't go for it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You interrupted a Praying Mantis?

Did you at least wait until it said "amen" before you removed it?

Gruntled said...

I think they only say amen after they are done eating what they are staring at.