Thursday, September 06, 2007

When Breastfeeders Attack!

A local Applebees restaurant in Nicholasville, KY, asked Brooke Ryan to cover up when she breastfed her baby. Now they wish they hadn't. Ryan organized a "nurse-in" on the sidewalk in front of that Applebees. The web carried the story everywhere, and now 60 Applebees in 30 states may get the full La Leche this weekend.

Applebees has said they will send blankets to all of their restaurants for breastfeeding, and have proclaimed that they are 100% pro-baby, pro-family, and pro-breast.

I think they should go a step further. I think they should print breastfeeding blankets with the Applebees logo with their new slogan, "A Neighborhood Milk Bar and Grill." They could give away special logo nursing bras -- Applebras. And baby slings, too -- Appleboughs. The possibilities are endless.

Don't mess with moms.

9 comments:

Carol Howard Merritt said...

I'm all for the possibilities!

After a year of trying to breast feed an infant while standing in a smelly, cramped bathroom stall, I'd had it too.

Good for those moms.

Jon said...

Ditto. Did you see the article in the Washingtonpost about how formula companies successfully the administration lobbied to neuter one of the pro-breast feeding campaigns? Not cool :(

Gruntled said...

I don't know why formula companies would try to be evil again. People my age and older remember the Nestle infant formula scandal.

Anonymous said...

A little modesty while breast feeding in public wouldn't hurt, would it? No one asked this lady to go to the stinky restroom to feed her child, did they? A little commonsense goes along way.

Gruntled said...

I think modesty is a reasonable accommodation. The mom in this case said it was too hot for a blanket, but I think a light blanket, in an air conditioned restaurant, would be feasible for all.

Unknown said...

Modesty? In an age where it seems like you can't turn on the TV without being flashed by yet another star who has refusd to where underwear, I find that comment funny. We are not a society that is afraid of breasts, nor do we really think modesty is important unless there is a child attatched to them. Now I ask you, if it was Pamela Anderson with her breasts more than hanging out at Applebee's, do you think she would habe been offered a blanket? I am tired of the request for modesty be used as a blanket (pardon the pun) to cover up which is simply intolerance of breastfeeding mothers.

Anonymous said...

Some babies accept modesty and some don't. My dear son would take any cover-up blanket and wave it like a flag -- "Hey, everybody! Look at me and my mom!"

I think the correct response to breastfeeding is to look somewhere else and assume that everyone is doing the best he or she possibly can.

Marty said...

I predict a new advrtising campaign for Hooters!

Breast feeders welcome -- 15% discount!

Gruntled said...

Yeah, I can see the slogan: "Hey guys -- this is what they are really for."