Friday, October 13, 2006

Governor Warner is Out for Good Reasons – But I am Still Bummed

Former Virginia Governor Mark Warner has decided not to run for president in 2008. I am disappointed – he was My Guy. However, I fully respect his reasons. He made the decision after his father's 81st birthday. My father, were he living, would be 82. Warner was showing his daughter, Madison Warner, colleges that she might soon go off to. My MW is in college now, and I am at them moment on the road showing colleges to daughter #2, NW (who delightfully signs herself Endub). Indeed, as Gov. Warner says, these days will never come again. Even the presidency can wait and, if necessary, pass.

So I am bummed out. But I understand.

And I still want a successful governor as our candidate for president.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any views on Bredesen? He was perfect up to a few years ago till he had a couple bungles with tenncare. I think if Warner was a favorite than Bredesen is a logical next place to look, if not to stay. Another southern democratic govenor who is popular, they don't come around all that often anymore. Easley out of NC is another thought, and i think he can't run again as govenor after '08 due to term limits (i may be wrong on that). Just my thoughts, and curious about other peoples.

Anonymous said...

Don't know much about TN, but as someone who lived in NC during the Easley administration he has some knocks against him- mostly that the NC governor is so powerless (he just got the veto in the 1990s I think) that he has nothing he can say is "his" except perhaps the state lottery (currently scandal-ridden), and his victories in the gubernatorial races seemed to be more a product of poorl-running opponents. On the other hand, no record and lack of power might help him- just look at Bush in Texas.
Heard anything about Bayh in Indiana?

Anonymous said...

I've heard good things about Bayh , but i personally just don't know much about him. On the NC-lottery front, i had heard that it was going well. How popular is Easely in NC?

Anonymous said...

TarHeel Scott said...

Don't know much about TN, but as someone who lived in NC during the Easley administration he has some knocks against him- mostly that the NC governor is so powerless (he just got the veto in the 1990s I think) that he has nothing he can say is "his" except perhaps the state lottery (currently scandal-ridden), and his victories in the gubernatorial races seemed to be more a product of poorl-running opponents.


Hmm ... you could say the same about a certain fmr Texas governor: position had no real power (still doesn't), could appoint a few commission heads (School Book Commission is one), and his opponents didn't take him seriously.

Gruntled said...

The New Republic had a great profile of Bredesen, and I was impressed. I like Bayh, too. Easley I don't know much about. I still want a governor, though. I think both parties would be better off if the high profile Senators, on both sides, formally withdrew, and stuck to the business of legislating.