Friday, July 22, 2011

The Happy Society Needs a Fluid Economy and Stable Families

I am strongly attracted to the view, expressed by Matt Ridley in The Rational Optimist, that a fluid world benefits workers as workers, and benefits everyone as consumers.

At the same time, I know that families benefit from a stable world, especially when they are raising young children.

Families benefit from cheap goods reliably delivered. But families are hurt by unstably employed parents.

I do not know how to balance the exhilaration of the creative destruction of capitalism with the fulfillment of the creative nurture of families. But I think I have identified a central problem of the happy society.

1 comment:

ceemac said...

GC said:

I do not know how to balance the exhilaration of the creative destruction of capitalism with the fulfillment of the creative nurture of families. But I think I have identified a central problem of the happy society.

I guess Wendell Berry et al. would say that you can't balance them.

And the libertarians at reason.com might say that humans are only truly happy when they are being creatively destructive.

I am not sure that they use the term "happy society" but there is a website called The Front Porch Republic that takes a "Berryesque" look at the issue. You might want to look at it if you haven't seen it.