Saturday, November 18, 2006

A Satirist's Dream

Italian comedians are making fun of the Vatican. The Vatican is upset about it. Humorless lay people are threatening to boycott the sponsors of the satirical shows.

It is a satirist's dream. Touchy powerful people are the best gift one could ask for. I hope the Vatican gets so worked up about it that it becomes a story here. It would be great to have Stephen Colbert, conservative Catholic, slyly satirizing the Pope's secretary.

A representative joke:

The Holy Trinity won a free trip and had to decide where to go.
God the Father said he would like to go to Africa,
Jesus to Palestine, and
the Holy Spirit to the Vatican.
Asked why, the Holy Spirit responded: “Because I’ve never been there.”

[Which reminds me of my favorite Pope joke. Jesus calls the Pope on the phone.

Pope: "Jesus, Hallelujah! To what do I owe the honor of this call?"

Jesus: "Well, I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I am back."

Pope: "And the bad news?"

Jesus: "I'm calling from Salt Lake City."]

1 comment:

Gruntled said...

The best answer to satire is self-deprecation. And not being ridiculous in the first place, but that may not be in the reach of human beings.